January’s Branch Meeting was held at the Canary Social Club on 14 Jnuary 2020 with 34 members attending.
The usual formalities were observed with a minute’s silence for those that have crossed the bar, followed by reports from:
- The Chairman opened by wishing all present a Happy New Year and a healthy and productive 2020. Continued that the only event in the last month was the Christmas Meeting on the 10 December which the Chairman believes was another well-organised event and gave his thanks to all those that helped make it a success.
- Provided a quick review of 2019 and the branch as a whole, which the Chairman believes was a successful one with the social events that took place being well attended. Continued that the Branch online social media presence increased again from last year. Sadly though the Branch had to say goodbye to two stalwarts: in Fred and Cliffy late in the year. Both will be sorely missed by everyone. RIP Shipmates.
- Commented that the Branch has its own gavel and block which is ready to be used at Meetings from now on and passed his thanks to Shipmate Peter Dukes for supplying these items; continuing that the Branch paid for the engraving and this will form part of the handover between the outgoing and incoming Chairmen in the future.
- Advised that the Veterans Norfolk Drop-in centre, which was based at the Matthew Project on Oak St ceased operating from that location last week. Ongoing costs in regard to being located at the Matthew Project being the main reason for this decision and the long-term method of operation / location will be determined at the next month’s Veteran Norfolks Trustee meeting.
- Concluded in commenting that an invite has been received from the 7th Infantry Brigade to their Army Engagement Team reception at 1830 till 2100 on 11 February at John Innes Centre and briefing and if any branch members are willing to represent the branch at this event this would be most gratefully appreciated.
- Reminded all present that contributions from Branch Members are always welcome, preferably in an electronic format.
- Reported that he has nomination forms available for March’s AGM, for Shipmates to nominate anyone they wish to stand on the Committee. If you would like to propose anyone to stand then please ensure you have that person’s permission before submitting a nomination form.
- Reported that so far, and not including any renewals this evening, 35 members have paid their subs for 2020, leaving 59 to renew.
- Commented that himself and S/M Mike Mizen were honoured to attend the annual presentation of awards at Norwich SCC on behalf of the Branch. The Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress were also in attendance and they were keen to hear about the Cadets and the Association, reported that the evening had been most enjoyable.
- Concluded that there had been a call in the local press and on social media, which many saw, for attendees to the funeral of former marine Reg Wilcox. Amongst the estimated two hundred attendees were eight branch members (S/M John Kett paraded with our standard), there were another 12 standards, four pipers and a fire engine making it an impressive turn out.
25th Jan Burns Night Army Reserve Centre
11th Feb – Branch Meeting – 1930 – CSC – Presentation by Barry Leggett about “Policing of Norwich in the 60’s”
16th Feb – Breakfast Club – 1000 – Nelson Table Table
23rd Feb – English Whisky Distillery Tour – 1000 for a 1030 – Roudham – Mark Rundle from the RMA will be running the tour as he did last time. £5 per person.
14th Mar = HMS Invincible Memorial Service – 1200 – Happisburgh
14th Mar – Armed Forces Day – 1500 – Carrow Road – Armed Forces Day halftime pitch parade at the NCFC v Southampton game kick-off 1500. Free match ticket for all those taking part. Date of this fixture is TBC due to TV picks.
- Reported that events for 2020 well be along the same lines as 2019 with Breakfast Clubs and Run Ashore events throughout the year. Also Summer Lunch, Trafalgar Night, Christmas Lunch and Christmas Branch Meeting. Continued that other planned events are visits to the Muckleburgh Military Collection plus another local attraction and a summer Black Tot BBQ; all with dates TBC.
Any Other Business
S/M Stuart Fidler
- Commented the CExSA dinner will take place at Wensum Valley Hotel on 1 March, if anyone would like to attend then please make contact.
S/M John Kett
- Trafalgar Night is booked for 17 October; the list will open in March with final payment being required by the September Branch Meeting.
- Confirmed that the Broads Boat Trip is booked for 21 August and there are 30 places available.