November’s Branch Meeting was held at the Canary Social Club on 12 November 2019 with 35 members attending.
The Branch Annual Re-dedication was conducted by S/M’s Mike Mizen, Phil Coates, Gus Honeywood and John Kett. A Stand Easy followed before reports were received from:
- Reported that on the 18 October, himself, Reg and Mike Mizen attended the Veterans Norfolk AGM at the Matthew Project (Next Steps) on Oak St. A very good turnout with over 30 people present to see the new facility which has just opened after a lengthy refurbishment process; a job well done in the Chairman’s opinion. The Veterans Norfolk drop-in centre will be based there from now on and the Veterans Norfolk desk will be manned 1000-1300 Mon-Fri so if you are passing, by all means, pop in and say hello and have a look round.
- Passed on a BZ to all the Branch members who were involved in staging yet another successful Trafalgar night at Wensum Valley golf club, commenting that all will be pleased to know that the Chairman and Secretary will be starting work on Trafalgar 2020 “Nelson and Hardy go to Vegas” early next year. The Branch guests of honour, Anna and Martin certainly enjoyed the evening and remarked so over a few late-night / early morning drinks at the Chairmans. The Branch has been celebrating Trafalgar night since 2005 and Shipmate Alf Wiggins has been doing his bit by marching in the rum every year for the past 14 years. BZ Alf.
- Remembrance Sunday was well attended as usual by the Veteran community, with around 14 members of our Branch in attendance. The Chairman passed on his thanks commenting that thankfully the weather held off and the general public came out in numbers to pay their respects.
- Finally, provided his thanks to the Vice-Chairman for standing in for him at tonight’s Branch Meeting. He has a meeting at Carrow Road that he really needs to be at, representing his supporter’s group Forces2Canaries.
- Reminded all present that Branch Membership fees are due at the beginning of January. The cost being £18 to all current members. £4 to those over 90 and £21 to new members. If anyone would like to set up a direct debit, then the bank details will be in next month’s Up Spirits.
- Closed by reading out the following from S/M Mike MassenGood evening Shipmates, firstly I would like to apologise for my absence from your meetings I have been busy over recent months getting to grips with our unit and helping Wells unit in getting affiliation to the sea cadet Corp, and through some illnesses. I must report that it is once again all change at the unit, our OIC Jenny Harvey has left Norwich to take up a position in Lincolnshire, we are still awaiting her replacement to be interviewed and offered the role.
Until then one of our staff members and an ex cadet at Norwich, Adele Austin have been temporarily put in charge and who herself will be applying for it full time has taken over for now. Whilst she is in charge I am helping her run the unit and one of her goals and indeed mine is to get the unit back to where it was 2-3 years ago, a family atmosphere and cadets enjoying their cadet experience and a good relationship once again with you all at the RNA.
I will be back to your meetings on a regular basis in January hopefully with news on who has got the role and where we are at that time and with further information on what we have planned for 2020.
Please remember Shipmates are more than welcome to visit the unit on any given parade night, just please let me know in advance and I can make sure you are let in at the T. A.
We came very close to losing our marine cadets but I am happy to inform that we have begun to rebuild it, we currently have around 33 blues, marines and juniors combined on our books and a steady stream of recruits joining us, so hopefully 2020 will see us back as one of the top units in our district.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you need any help or manpower at any time, as like I have said we are keen to secure our long term association with you all, and will where possible supply cadets to help at any events that you may have.
We are now in our winter training and getting cadets through their ranks and specialisations up until April 2020 and so based at the TA.
On the 16th December we are holding our unit awards night and all Shipmates are invited to attend, this will be held at the TA. And from the 23rd until the 6 Jan 2020 the unit will be closed for the Xmas period.
If I have any more news of anything, I will pass this onto you all and would like to take this opportunity to wish all Shipmates a very merry Xmas and Happy New year from myself and Norwich unit and will see you in January 2020.
Yours aye Mike Massen
- Commenced by commenting that this month has passed off fairly quietly and he had made contact with 2 veterans; one who was seeking help with structural changes to his a property and the second who is seeking social contact.
7th Dec – Breakfast Club – 1000 – Showground Table Table
10th Dec – Branch Christmas Meeting – 1930 – CSC
14th Jan – Branch Meeting – 1930 – CSC
Any Other Business
S/M Stuart Fidler
- Requested that all monies for Burns Night are paid to him at next month’s Branch Meeting.
- Commented that for those that shop at Tesco’s; they’re offering a Senior Citizens Railcard which normally costs £30; but with a voucher is reduced to £10.
S/M Mike Mizen
- Relayed his thanks to all those that attended the Remembrance Day Parade; commenting that it was an extremely good parade.
S/M Deryck Self
- Commented that S/M’s Freddie Fitch and Martin French had attended Tasburgh Scouts and given a presentation.
S/M John Kett
- Advised all present that next year’s Trafalgar Night will be held at Wensum Valley Hotel on 17 October. Unfortunately there had been a small increase in the cost for the evening, going up to £27 per person.
- Advised that he will be attending the Remembrance Parade at the Boundary on 13 November; where there will also be a remembrance for the Desert Rats and Normandy Veterans if any other Shipmates would like to attend.
S/M Phil Coates
- Commented that all Christmas Squares had been sold this evening.