August’s Branch Meeting was held at the Canary Social Club on 13 August 2019 with 42 members attending.
The usual formalities were observed with a minute’s silence for those that have crossed the bar, followed by reports from:
- The Chairman commenced by providing an update RAF Marham Families day; which took place at the end of July; he hoped those who attended had a good day and the only feedback he has received has come from David Pye who thoroughly enjoyed his day despite the heat (the second year running). David has suggested that we should have an RNA presence at Marham next year; and this was considered this year; however there were a great deal of issues to counter regards H&S. However, David has now re-approached the Chairman volunteering to help man the stall at next year’s Families Day.
- Reported that we have been emailed notifying us of the funeral of Eric Moore who was a member of the RBL in Harleston and served in the royal navy as a chief petty officer. His wife has asked we could give him a Guard of Honour. The gentleman is due to be cremated on August 22 at 1200 in Beccles if anyone is able to attend?
- Just an advisory to inform you all that the Central Office leave period has commenced and will not see all staff back in office until Monday 02 September, when normal service will be resumed. Additionally there will be no Monthly Circular at the beginning of September.
- Report from Mike Massen reads:
Hi sorry it’s been awhile since I was last onboard, I have been busy with other commitments on your meeting nights.
The unit is still doing well with more youngsters joining us and some of our senior cadets leaving because of age.
We have been actively working on our boating season at our new venue which is much better for our cadets and many of the cadets are getting RYA qualifications as a result.
I will have a more up to date report for your next meeting accompanied with a report from our OIC
We are still however looking for members to join our committee, so if shipmates feel they could lend a hand please ask them to contact me and I will be happy to discuss what’s required.
The role of our committee is to secure our own unit facilities and to try move from our place at the TA, as shipmates will appreciate this is no easy task in our troubled times, but the more members our committee have will go a long way to us achieving this in the future, also they are required to raise funds to help our cadets thrive and get the cadet experience that they crave.
I am on holiday for the next two weeks, but my phone is always on, so if anyone is interested then please contact me.
Apart from our boating season we have had cadets away at summer camp, doing gold DofE scheme and other courses and we are pleased to say all have done very well and have achieved some fantastic results along the way.
I do hope to be at the next meeting and available to answer any questions about the cadets and our unit, but again until then if anyone want any information then please contact me.
16th Aug – Broads boat trip
17th Aug – Quiz and Chips – It has been decided to cancel due to lack of numbers.
28th Aug – STANTA Tour
7th Sep – Branch Run Ashore – 2000 – Location Cowgate opposite the Norwich Puppet Theatre.
Any Other Business
S/M Reg McGuire
- Reminded Shipmates that any raffle prizes that they would like to donate for Trafalgar Night would be most gratefully received.
- Advised that Mark Rundle (RMA) was able to offer tours of the English Whisky Distillery for £5 per person; and he has requested that all veterans’ organisations are informed of this offer
- Reported that Veterans Norfolk will be moving from its current home in the Revelation Café to Outside the Wire on Oak Street later on this year, probably October.
S/M Paul Dale
- Commented that the Norfolk Marathon will be taking place on 17 May 2020. Anyone wishing to take part is advised to view the Norfolk District Council website.
- Advised that S/M Stuart Fidler will be undertaking a presentation at RBL Stalham this coming Thursday commencing at 1900.
S/M Peter Cook
- Reported that he had recently represented the Branch at the 80th birthday of Mike Smith at the Maritime Museum at Clenchwarton; presenting him with a Pussers Rum flask. During the event £361 was raised for the Air Ambulance. Closed by commenting that it was also make an ideal venue for a social event; of the Committee would like to discuss.
S/M Mike Mizen
- Referred to his article in Up Spirits asking for the Branch to support events. If an event should be advertised and Shipmates aren’t interested, then they should intimate this right from the start; this way time and effort won’t be spent on events only for them to be cancelled if there is a subsequent lack of interest. These comments were endorsed by the Chairman.
S/M Phil Coates
- Reported that following the Branch Survey, a number of comments made mention of family friendly events. In lite of this he proposed to organise such an event where children and grand children would be invited, but before organising he wished to gauge interest with a show of hands. This show of hands proved positive and he advised that he would start to make plans for the event.