July’s Branch Meeting was held at the Canary Social Club on 9 July 2019 with 39 members attending.
The usual formalities were observed with a minute’s silence for those that have crossed the bar, followed by reports from:
- The Chairman opened by thanking Mike Wilkinson and John Kett for representing the branch on the 24 June at the AFD flag raising ceremony in Norwich.
- The RNS at Costessey and another chance to use the Branches splendid gazebo. The location of the Military village changed to the West side in the woods for 2019. The Chairman’s first thoughts was that he wasn’t sure it was going to work; however it did, and this will be the location for future years. On Wednesday the number of school children seemed to be exceptionally large; many visiting our Gazebo and trying to empty our stocks of gizzits. The Chairman expressed his thanks to all those that manned the gazebo over the 2 days and great to hear that the RNS treated S/M’s Freddie and Edna Fitch as VIP guests on the Thursday with Freddie taking the salute.
- The end of June saw our Summer and 40th Anniversary lunch at the Wensum Valley Golf Club; great food was enjoyed by the 35 who attended, and a good time had by all; and even the odd golfer wandering through the Morton Suite as a short cut could not spoil the afternoon.
- Commented that he wished to thank all those that completed the Branch Survey at the last meeting, some interesting responses and food for thought for the Committee who have taken any suggestions onboard and looking at how, if possible, they can be implemented.
- Reminded all that an email had been sent out from Wells Sea Cadet Unit, inviting anyone who may be interested to witness their final inspection by the Captain, Sea Cadets on September 5th at 1900 at Alderman Peel School, Wells Next the Sea, Norfolk. S/M’s Steve and Chris Phillips will be attending, so if anyone else would like to attend you will not be alone.
- Commented that the warm weather certainly seems to lift everyone, which is great from a welfare perspective, meaning he has little to report.
- Closed by commenting that if anyone wants to chat or write to a veteran who has no family or friends other than those in the same nursing home, please see him he will share details.
25th Jul – Marham Families Day – RAF Marham
13th Aug – Branch Meeting – 1930 – CSC
17th Aug – Quiz and Chips – 1900 – Bush Pub Costessey
16th Aug – Broads boat trip – 1300 – Boarding Station
28th Aug – STANTA Tour
7th Sep – Branch Run Ashore – 2000 – Plasterers Arms
19th Oct – Trafalgar Night – Wensum Valley GC
Any Other Business
Following Stand Easy, S/M Freddie Fitch gave a report on his recent trip to Normandy for the D-Day commemorations; his first visit to the area since the landings in 1944. During the report he gave a wonderful precise of the activities that had been laid on and the experiences he had encountered. He closed his report by making a donation of £100 to the Branch.