Aprilss Branch Meeting was held at the Canary Social Club on 9 April 2019 with 37 members attending.
The usual formalities were observed with a minute’s silence for those that have crossed the bar, followed by reports from:
- Began by reporting that the AGM and Branch meeting took place on the 12th March and took the opportunity to welcome all the new members to the Committee; passing on his thanks for volunteering their time to help run the branch and hoped they wouldn’t come to regret their decision in a few months’ time.
- The HMS Invincible Memorial Service took place on the 16th March at Happisburgh Church. The Chairman expressed his thanks to the 18 RNA members who turned out; commenting that in total around 40 attended the service. Inclement weather meant all the day’s proceedings were carried out inside the church.
- The recent Breakfast Club at the Nelson Table Table was attended by 10 members and he thanked all those who attended.
The Chairman continued that he is keen that the workload is spread across the Committee and Branch as much as possible. The Branch has been looking for volunteers to fill the roles of Deputy Standard Bearer for some time and has also been looking to identify a member to organise the Fete’s and Fayres that the Branch attend. From our Committee meeting last week, S/M Steve Philips has volunteered for both these roles; with Kevin Brett volunteering to assist the Fetes and Fayres Officer.
The Chairman requested a show of hands as to whether there were any other volunteers for the role. As there were no other volunteers, the Chairman requested a show of hands for S/M Steve Phillips to take on the roles of Deputy Standard Bearer and Fetes and Fayres organiser. Furthermore he requested a show of hands for S/M Kevin Brett to assist the Fetes and Fayres organiser. Carried unanimously. The Chairman expressed his thanks to Steve and Kevin.
- The Chairman closed by stating how pleased he is with number of members who have renewed their membership for 2019 and was sure the Secretary will give us a breakdown on numbers in his report. He reminded all members to be on the lookout for anyone who might like to join us here on a Tuesday night, requesting that encouragement is given for them to come along. With all prospective new members please emphasise that we do not have a dress code, so they are welcome to wear whatever they feel is appropriate.
- Advised that the Branch Photo will be taking place at the May Branch Meeting.
- Reported that members have been invited to attend the Royal Naval Parade of Wells-next-the-Sea Sea Cadet unit on Thursday 9 May, if anyone is interested in attending then the Secretary will pass on the details.
- Closed by reporting that we have 9 members that are outstanding the renewal of their membership fees. Branch paperwork will be updated this weekend including the Branch Directory.
- Reported that March has proved to be another calm month from a Welfare perspective. The Branch were requested to support the funerals of a couple of non-members who had crossed the bar recently; Peter Harpham an ex-Royal Marine, was a widower without any other family. His funeral will be held at St. Faiths Crematorium on Tuesday 16 April at 11.00am. Arthur Alfred Davis, ex-RN Senior Rate, whose funeral was held on Monday April 1 at 11am, at Saint Margaret’s Church, Harleston. Back to branch members, S/M Fred Hogben continues to do well and remains at home with full time carers.
- Closed by reporting that £224 of Christmas Squares had so far been purchased and encouraged members to purchase more.
04th May – Area 5 Meeting – 1400 – Canary Social Club
04th May – Run Ashore – 2000 – Hotel Nelson
14th May – Branch Meeting – 1930 – To include Branch Photo and Quiz
27th May – Costessey Fete & Fayre – All Day – Longwater Lane
02nd June – Breakfast Club – 1000 – Hotel Nelson
06th June – D-Day Service and Parade – 1030 – Norwich War Memorial
24th June – AFD Flag Raising – 1030 – City Hall
26th-27th June – RNS – Norfolk Showground
30th June – 40th Anniversary Lunch – 1230 for 1300 – Wensum Valley Golf Club
25th Jul – Marham Families Day – RAF Marham
Advised that it is planned to organise a visit to Duxford in September, a Quiz and Chips evening at the Bush Pub, Costessey and greyhound racing at Gt Yarmouth; requesting a of show of hands for each event; which also proved positive.
Any Other Business
S/M Clifford Self
- Reported that he was selling raffle tickets for the Priscilla Bacon Lodge, the draw will take place at Hainford Church on 8 June 2019.
S/M Stuart Fidler
- Advised that a display of Airborne Dakotas will be taking place at Duxford on the 4-5 June.
S/M John Kett
- Reported that seats for Trafalgar Night are £26 per head, and that seats will go on a first paid basis.
S/M Mike Wilkinson
- Reported that the coach had been booked for the Battle Area Tour on 28 August 2019. S/M Mike Mizen provided a brief itinerary of the tour advising that it is intended that the coach will leave from the TA Centre and asked for a show of hands of those that would be interested in attending.
S/M Neville Townsend
- Informed members that an email had been sent out advising of the Community Sport Foundation and encouraged all who had not yet done so to complete the attached survey.