February’s Branch Meeting was held at the Canary Social Club on 12 February 2019 with 43 members attending.
The usual formalities were observed with a minute’s silence for those that have crossed the bar, followed by reports from:
- Presented S/M’s Mat Phillips, Klazina Wilson-Contze and Deryck Self with their ID Card and RNA Badge and welcomed Peter and Mary Smith on their visit to the Branch.
- The Chairman started by welcoming S/M’s Clifford and Janet Self back into the fold, before thanking Nev for standing in for him at the last meeting, good training for him for when he takes over next month. He continued that this will be his last meeting as Branch Chairman, next month he will stand down at the AGM. He will of course be presenting his yearly report at that meeting, but this is his last chance to say a big ‘thank you’ to all of you whilst still in the chair.Three years is a long time, far longer than he anticipated, and during his time in office one of the most positive aspects has been the increase in membership, something that we seem to be good at compared to other Branches. This is due entirely to you, the members. Your positive outlook and your willingness to get involved in Branch activities has sent a message to the wider, ex-RN community and as a result they have made the effort to come along and see what it is that you are up to. In most cases they have stayed, and to all of you who have joined since he has been in the Chair “Thank you”. Thank you for joining what is a first-class Branch and for taking part in the various activities.What, the Chairman thinks, has pleased him the most is the number of comparatively younger members that have joined (he means younger than himself!). You are the future of the Branch and if what he has seen so far is anything to go by, we are in safe hands.To be honest, the Chairman is looking forward to taking my seat amongst the members, and looking towards the top table, it will be a pleasant change. He has been lucky enough to have been at the heart of the decision making so he knows how much hard work goes into running the Branch. A word of warning then, don’t mumble complaints to him whilst sitting in the stalls, join the committee and do something about it.
Finally, thanks to Nev and Gus for attending the Area meeting, you will get a report on that in due course, and thanks to those who attended the Breakfast Club meeting at the Hotel Nelson. Not only is it a good event but the Chairman got to meet two new Branch members in the process. That alone made it worthwhile…
- Reported that he has nomination forms available for next month’s AGM, for Shipmates to nominate anyone they wish to stand on the Committee. If you would like to propose anyone to stand then please ensure you have that person’s permission before submitting a nomination form.
- Reported that so far, and not including any renewals this evening, 76 members have paid their subs for 2019, leaving 26 to renew.
- Commenced by endorsing the Chairman’s remarks and commented that it was good to see S/M’s Clifford and Janet Self back with the Branch before continuing that January has proven to be an extremely quiet month from a welfare perspective. Concluded by reporting that he had managed to arrange the delivery of a card from Buckingham Palace to celebrate the 106th birthday of S/M Vera Read.
Events Since Last Meeting
- 03rd Feb – Breakfast Club Premier Inn Nelson Hotel Norwich City Centre 1000. Thanks to the 13 who came along including new members Tony and Jenny.
2nd Mar – Branch Run Ashore – 2000 – The Cherry Tree
8th Mar – AFD Carrow Road
12th Mar – AGM and Branch Meeting – 1930 – Canary Social Club
16th Mar – HMS Invincible Memorial Service – 1200 – Happisburgh Church
Many thanks to S/M Paul Dale for maintaining the Stone throughout the past 12 months. Additionally, Paul will be hosting a tour of the RNLI Lifeboat Station on completion of the memorial service.
Any Other Business
S/M Stuart Fidler
- Reported that details of the CExSA luncheon and had been sent out, anyone wishing to attend will need to use the contact details provided ASAP to book a place.