January’s Branch Meeting was held at the Canary Social Club on 8 January 2019 with 40 members attending.
The usual formalities were observed with a minute’s silence for those that have crossed the bar, followed by reports from:
- Reported that he received information a few days ago that Pat and Barbara Whiley have decided to stand down from the Committee. Although they have offered to stay until the AGM, he believes that publicly thanking them once their intentions became known is the correct course of action. It goes without saying that the work that they have put into this Branch is beyond measure. They have been stalwarts in this Branch, a shining example of what membership really means. They have both been involved in so many Branch activities, either organising them, such as Trafalgar Night, or taking part in something organised by someone else, they are without doubt the backbone of this Branch. The Chairman feels sure that they will continue to support the Branch activities in the future but their experience and expertise at Committee level will be sorely missed and he would like to thank them for all their support and hopes that the Branch will show their appreciation of two fine members as well.
- Continued by thanking the Committee, and especially Nev and Gus, for organising the very successful Christmas Branch meeting. The feedback that he has received has been very positive and it looks like future Christmas Branch meetings will follow the same course.
- Concluded by reporting that he has been informed that another visit to St George’s Distillery is being organised in February; is there anyone who would like to go. No date has been fixed yet but the visit will be a tour followed by lunch. There are no plans to include a visit to the flight simulator at Old Buckenham Airfield as it looks as if it will be moving closer to Norwich in the near future. A rough idea of numbers at this stage please..
- Reported that there will be two vacant Committee positions at the AGM in March, if anyone would like to volunteer their services then please let himself of any other member of the Committee know. Additionally, if you would like to propose anyone to stand on the Committee at the AGM then please ensure you have that person’s permission.
- Closed by thanking all those that have renewed their subscriptions; advising that he will be collecting subscriptions after stand-easy with a request for people to have the correct change. Advised that we have had another two members join us in addition to the three that have filled in paperwork ready for 1 January and has been reliably informed that we have another 2 applications waiting in the wings. If all current members renew, then the new additions will take Branch numbers to 102.
- Provided an update regarding those members recently admitted to hospital.
Events Since Last Meeting
- 11th Dec – Branch Meeting and Christmas Event. We had 43 members turn up on the night. Many thanks to all helped make the night a success.
- 05th Jan – Run ashore at the Murderers Pub in the City – 2000. Many thanks to the 2 that turned up.
3rd Feb – Breakfast Club – 1000 – Hotel Nelson
5th Feb – Committee Meeting – 1930 – The Bush
12th Feb – Branch Meeting – 1930 – CSC
2nd Mar – Branch Run Ashore – 2000 – The Cherry Tree
9th Mar – Armed Forces Day – 2000 – Carrow Road
Any Other Business
S/M Stuart Fidler
- Advised that one of the websites that provides service poppy badges may be losing the contract with the RBL and it may be worth visiting them before the contract expires. The website is poppypins.co.uk.
S/M Phil Coates
- Reported that he would again be running the Crimbo Squares from tonights meeting through to November, and it is hopes that Shipmates will support it as strongly as they did last year.
S/M Nev Townsend
- Informed all present that S/M Paul Dale is looking to host a tour of the lifeboat station at Happisburgh after the HMS Invincible Memorial Service in March, a show of hands indicated that half a dozen members would be interested in attending.