December’s Branch Meeting was held at the Canary Social Club on 11 December 2018 with 42 members attending.
The usual formalities were observed with a minute’s silence for those that have crossed the bar, followed by reports from:
- First, well done to those who took part in the collection at Morrison’s in Wymondham last Friday and Saturday. It will be left to our Treasurer Mike Wilkinson to let you know how we got on.
- Secondly, thanks to Nev for organising the Branch Christmas lunch at Bawburgh Golf Club last Sunday. The event was well attended, and the Chairman thinks that those who took part will agree that it was worthwhile.
- The Chairman continued by reporting that he is organising an evening visit and guided tour to the Stanford Military Training Area at Thetford on the 28th August next year. He is aware that it is a long way off but there are only a limited number of tours allowed each year and if you don’t book early you won’t get one. The plan is to hire a coach, leaving from the Reserve Forces Centre in Aylsham Road in time to report to West Tofts Camp by 1730. The tour takes approximately three hours, so we should be back in Norwich before 2200. A list for names will be put out nearer the date.
- Advised that the first part of the merchandise order had arrived and presented the items that had been received. They are on offer to all members and will be on sale whilst the buffet is being served and a voluntary donation of £1 per item is requested.
- Finally, the Secretary wished to thank you all present for their support over the past 12 months, without it the Branch activities would be mundane and uninspiring, and it is hoped that you will continue to support us in 2019; being sure that there will be plenty to keep us all entertained and occupied. Merry Christmas to you all and may 2019 be prosperous and healthy for you, your family and friends.
- Once again, November has been a relatively calm month from a welfare perspective. However, sadly another member crossed the bar. S/M John McKernan passed away on Saturday 17th Nov aged 91. His funeral took place on 6th December at Earlham Cemetery with RNA members in attendance. Thanks to all who attended and represented the branch.
- The Welfare Officer closed by taking the opportunity to wish all shipmates a merry Christmas and a very happy new year.
Events Since Last Meeting
- 01st Dec – Breakfast Club – Table Table Showground -1000. Thanks to the 17 members who came along. For the future our Breakfast Club’s will be held at the Nelson Hotel by the Train Station.
- 09th Dec – Christmas Sunday Lunch – Bawburgh Golf Club – 1300. Thanks to the 27 those that came along good time and food had by all.
11th Dec Branch Meeting 1930
Many thanks to all those that have helped stage tonight in particular Clare and Debbie for sorting the Buffet out, thank you ladies.
2nd Jan – Committee Meeting – 1930
5th Jan – Branch Run Ashore – 2000 – The Murderers
8th Jan Branch Meeting 1930 Canary Social Club
3rd Feb Breakfast Club 1000 Hotel Nelson
Any Other Business
S/M Phil Coates
- Advised that due to the success of this year’s Christmas Squares, that a new prize draw would commence in January running through to November.
S/M John Kett
- Reported that next year’s Trafalgar Night had been booked for the 19 October 2019 at the Wensum Valley Hotel.
S/M Nev Townsend
- Advised that the Royal Navy had produced an album following the funeral of Steve Taylor, which was available to view at the bar during the course of the meeting.
Following the formalities, the Branch enjoyed a quiz, buffet, Christmas Squares draw which saw S/M Chris Woollands take first prize, S/M John Kett take second prize and S/M Nev Townsend take third prize, and a musical performance from Mick Bowen.