August’s Branch Meeting was held at the Canary Social Club on 22 August 2018 with 39 members attending.
The usual formalities were observed with a minute’s silence for those that have crossed the bar, followed by reports from:
The Chairman presented S/M’s Joan Ellis and Kyle Rogers with their ID Card and RNA Badge.
- Not a lot to report this month, the hot weather has kept everyone trying to keep cool. The Chairman understands that the Family’s Day at RAF Marham was again well attended, and the large crowd included members from the Branch. As opposed to last year, this year the complaint was that it was too hot. Perhaps next year the weather will be just right.
- Thanks again to Gus for organising the Breakfast Club, it was nice enjoying breakfast whilst watching people flogging their guts out doing the Norwich 10km run, it made him feel quite healthy.
- The Royal Marines Bands Mountbatten Festival of Music is held annually at the Royal Albert Hall in London and in 2019 the concerts have been arranged for Friday 15th March at 1930 and Saturday 16th March at 1400 and again at 1930. Tickets go on sale on Monday 3rd September and the price of tickets varies from £26 up to £40, depending on where you sit. The Saturday matinee is ideal for those who have to travel from further afield but do not want an overnight stay. The concert is first class entertainment from probably the best Military band in the world and having been before the Chairman will be definitely going again
- The Branch will be attending the Nelson Service at Burnham Thorpe on 7 October and details have been requested and members will be updated once they are known. However, there is an event in Lowestoft on the same date to mark the 100th Anniversary of the end of WW1. If anyone would like details then they will be made available.
- On Saturday 13 October 2018 at the North Walsham Community Centre at 7.00 pm, there will representatives from the Armed Forces will be attending as well as representatives from overseas. The menu is based on a 1914 menu, drinks and entertainment included and tickets are £25.00 each; please advise if you wish to attend.
- Nothing to Report.
- The Welfare Officer began by reporting that July has been a steady month thankfully, and he was pleased to say that we are approaching the 80th birthday of S/M Graham Rowland, and we should all admire his determination to overcome his recent illness which led to periods in both high-dependency and critical care, which was an extremely concerning time for all of Graham’s family. But, as he has done in the past he once again showed he has the fight in him to overcome illness; and he is sure all Shipmates will join him in wishing Graham a very happy 80th birthday and we should see Graham at Trafalgar Night!
- Shipmates may find the following website of interest: www.sailline.org.uk which is the Seafarers’ Advice and Information Line; this is described as the Citizens Advice Line for seafarers. In addition to this advice, it may also be of interest to some members and their families to know that the Royal British Legion has six care homes which provide short and long-term care for serving personnel and veterans. One home is situated in Norfolk and that is Hasley House, Cromer (01263 512178), incidentally, this home is also a specialist centre for dementia care.
- If you have any welfare related concerns, please do not hesitate to contact him.
Events Since Last Meeting
- 10th July – Branch Meeting – Helen Tyler from “Barking Mad” gave a short presentation before the meeting. Not had any feedback from members if they have signed up with Helen.
- 26th July – Families Day at RAF Marham – Around 5 members attended on the day not had any feedback as of yet. Next year it will be a combined RNA/Costessey RBL, that way boosting numbers.
- 04th Aug – Breakfast Club at the Nelson Hotel Norwich – 14 members enjoyed the usual excellent breakfast on offer.
- 17th Aug – Curry Night – Spice Lounge 1900.
Provided an update on forthcoming events:
1st Sep – Run Ashore – The Plough
11th Sep – Branch Meeting
30th Sep – RHS Holbrook
6th Oct – Breakfast Club
7th Oct – Nelson Service
9th Oct – Branch Meeting
13th Oct – Edith Cavell Service
20th Oct – Trafalgar Night
9th Dec – Christmas Sunday Lunch
Any Other Business
S/M John Kett
- Reported that 26 people took part in the boat trip on the Broads before explaining the itinerary of the afternoon. He has already been spoken to in regard to arranging another such event. Additionally, because there were more that 15 people attending, the price had been reduced by 10% and subsequently there was a £27.30 donation to Branch funds.
- Advised that on Saturday 6 October, the RN Patrol Service will be hosting their annual event at Lowestoft and himself and S/M Freddie Fitch will be attending. The event starts at 1030 for 1100.