July’s Branch Meeting was held at the Canary Social Club on 10 July 2018 with 39 members attending.
The usual formalities were observed with a minute’s silence for those that have crossed the bar. Before the reports were given the Chairman introduced Helen Tyler from Barking Mad, who gave a short talk, before the Branch retired to undertake the Branch photograph.
This was followed by reports from:
- Not a lot to report this month. The Armed Forces Day Flag Raising ceremony was well attended by RNA members, once again, but it was a pity that the RAF were unable to provide a single person to attend.
- Reported that he was unable to attend the Closing Ceremony at the Royal Norfolk Show this year as he was moving to a new location. The Chairman hoped that all went well and offered his sincere thanks to those who attended in such hot weather. He looks forward to a report from those who attended in due course.
- The Armed Forces event in the Forum last Saturday week was, he hopes, equally successful and it is hoped that the venue was cool enough to make it bearable.
- Thanks once again to Nev for organising the Branch summer lunch at Bawburgh Golf Club. The feedback that was received from various members was very positive; and he thinks that there were 28 members and guests in attendance and they all enjoyed the occasion.
- There is no doubt in my mind that events like these brings in potential members. Recent experience has shown that a Branch that does nothing will eventually fail whereas a Branch that has active members and an active program of events will continue to grow; long may it continue in the Norwich Branch.
- The next Branch Meeting will take place on 21 August as there is an NCFC home game on 14 August. The August Breakfast Club has had a change of date and venue due to the bucket collection on 4 August at Wroxham, so it will now take place on Sunday 5 August at Nelson Hotel Table Table. Additionally the October Breakfast Club will be moved to the 6 October; as the Nelson Service will take place at Burnham Thorpe on 7 October.
- Informed all present that Mike Massen has reported that after careful consideration, he has come to the decision to retire from the Sea Cadets, so will no longer be the cadet liaison officer for the RNA.
- Shipmates should be aware that official confirmation has been received of an action the Branch has been undertaking for some considerable time; and this concerns when it is appropriate to dress a coffin with a White Ensign. The letter providing the response from the MOD can be found at the rear of this month’s edition of Semaphore. In summary, White Ensigns can be used at any private funeral i.e. not publicly funded (paid) for by the Government. In that case only Union Flags may be used. Hopefully this will dispel any myths or misinformation that may have been advised in the past.
- Shipmates will be interested to know that personnel leaving the armed forces will now be able to keep their military ID, Minister for Defence People and Veterans, Tobias Ellwood, has announced. A decision is still to be reached concerning those who have already left the Services. There is a link in the months Semaphore providing further information.
- Still a reasonable number of members who haven’t responded to the GPDR email to remain on the Mailing List. Intend to make available revamped GDPR forms to those not on the list; giving them the opportunity to sign up should they wish.
- Thank you to all those who attended the funerals of S/M’s Bill Clodd and Geoff Little; both families were very appreciative and thank everyone for their support.
Events Since Last Meeting
- Thanks to Stuart Fidler for his talk on the Falklands Islands at the June Branch meeting.
- Thanks to all our members who took part in the parade on the Thursday at the RNS. No RN presence at the show this year as they were not invited so he had been advised.
- 30th June AFD get together at the Eagle Pub. In total 10 turned up on the night from the RNA, Forces2Canaries and the Norfolk Breakfast Club.
Provided an update on forthcoming events:
26th Jul – Families Day – RAF Marham – The Security list has been emailed to Marham. Next year this will be a joint event between the Branch and RBL Costessey.
5th Aug – Breakfast Club – 1000 – Nelson Hotel Table Table
17th Aug – Curry Night – Spice Lounge
1st Sep – Run Ashore – 2000 – The Plough
9th Dec – Christmas Sunday Lunch – 1300 – Bawburgh Golf Club – 3 Course Carvery (Carvery, Starter or Dessert and Coffee and Tea). £15 for members and £20 for non-members.
Any Other Business
S/M Reg McGuire – Advised as SSAFA Rep that if you require the charities services in the future, that you will need proof of ID; either Driving Licence or Passport. If you don’t have either of these forms of ID then the advise is to obtain one at your earliest convenience as without them the process will be severely hindered.
Went onto thank all those that attended the Forum for AFD; advising that there will be a different layout next year.
Finished by reporting that their a 9 currently on the list for the trip to Royal Hospital School and outlined the planned events for the visit.